[Lxc-users] Using lxc on production

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 23 15:20:01 UTC 2012

On 10/23/2012 12:29 AM, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> On Mon 2012-10-22 (14:53), Stéphane Graber wrote:
>
>> All in all, that's somewhere around 300-400 containers I'm managing
>
> How do you handle a host (hardware) failure?

Everything that runs in the container is in a configuration management
system, so any container can be redeployed from scratch in just a couple
of minutes without needing the actual rootfs.

On top of that, all the containers are backed up centrally using data
deduplication, so if I really need it, I can extract a .tar.gz of the
rootfs of any container in minutes and then just dump that on another
machine.

Though technically all the critical services are already redundant, so
in case of a host failure, all I'd see is an increase of load on the
other servers while I fix the host and get the rest back online.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer