[Lxc-users] Using lxc on production

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 22 12:53:49 UTC 2012

On 10/22/2012 02:39 PM, swair shah wrote:
> I've been trying out lxc for a week now, and it seems there are a lot of
> issues if the host system is centos and things work fine while using
> ubuntu as the host. any way, right now I don't think lxc seems to be fit
> to run on production boxes.
>
> I was wondering if anyone is using lxc on production. and if you don't
> mind disclosing, for what purpose do you use it on production?
>
> cheers,
> swair

I use LXC in production for all my server services (web hosting, dns
servers, internal dhcp, directory services, ...) and for the Edubuntu
WebLive VDI service (hundred of desktop installations running under LXC).

All in all, that's somewhere around 300-400 containers I'm managing in
production, without any problem so far.

This is all running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with apparmor on both host and
containers. Using apparmor fixes all the security concerns that have
been highlighted so far with containers and Ubuntu ships the latest
upstream LXC and has a container-aware userspace that doesn't require
any kind of hack to work in containers.

You mention you're using Centos, I'd suggest that's really your problem
as nobody is working on LXC on Centos so the distribution probably
wasn't made container aware, we don't actually have a maintained
template for it and it's likely that some other bits of LXC plain don't
work because nobody tested it on centos.

We recently got some contributions for LXC support on Oracle Linux which
as far as I know is pretty close to RHEL6/CentOS, so maybe that work
will lead to a better experience on CentOS, but that may take some time.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer