[Lxc-users] ssh'ing in the container ( ioctl operation not permitted /dev/tty failed - no such device or address )

swair shah swairshah at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 10:11:49 UTC 2012

I have a container running centos 6, on a host system also running centos
6. I have allocated a different subnet for containers and I'm able to ping
the container.

Now when I try to ssh into the container from another console, it prompts
me for password. This is the log on the host system.

Oct 22 14:00:25 localhost sshd[264]: Accepted password for root from
192.168.0.2 port 38355 ssh2
Oct 22 14:00:25 localhost sshd[264]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened
for user root by (uid=0)
Oct 22 14:00:25 localhost sshd[266]: error: ioctl(TIOCSCTTY): Operation not
permitted
Oct 22 14:00:25 localhost sshd[266]: error: open /dev/tty failed - could
not set controlling tty: No such device or address

I should also mention that my host machine is a remote one and I have ssh'd
into that.

Do I need to make any specific changes to the tty conf in the container?
How do I go about debugging this issue?

thanks,
swair