[Lxc-users] lxc-setcap 'Failed to set capabilities on file /usr/local/libexec/lxc-init'

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Fri Oct 12 17:40:59 UTC 2012

Quoting Frank Scholten (frank at frankscholten.nl):
> Hi all,
>
> I want to run non-root LXCs and I read I have to run sudo lxc-setcap
> first.  I am running Ubuntu 12.04 btw.
>
> So I cloned the git repo, ran ./configure, make, make install but when
> I run lxc-setcap I get:
>
> root at franktop:/usr/local/libexec# lxc-setcap
> Failed to set capabilities on file `/usr/local/libexec/lxc-init' (No
> such file or directory)
>
> Turns out lxc-init exists under /usr/local/libexec/lxc/lxc-init
>
> Is this an error in the Makefile?

Yeah, bc lxc-init has moved, but supporting lxc-setcap is not interesting
right now.  It doesn't really work anyway (there are scripts involved,
which you cannot attach capabilities to).  I realize waiting is no fun, but
we're getting really close to being able to start up containers unp-privileged
through user namespaces.

-serge