[Lxc-users] LXC + VirtualBox = Frozen Host

Okky Hendriansyah mawcikurl at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 10:46:19 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I have been seeing reproducible freezes each time I start a VirtualBox VM
when at least one of my LXC containers are already running. Even my mouse
cursor is frozen, and all I could do is a hard reset each time.

Here are some of the cases that I have tried:
1.) Starting a VirtualBox VM when an LXC container is already running
effectively freezes the host.
2.) Starting an LXC container when a VirtualBox VM is already booted is
fine.
3.) Starting another LXC container after point (2) is also fine.
4.) Starting antother VirtualBox VM after point (3) is also fine.

Could somebody kindly share some light here? It seems that the initial
startup of the VirtualBox module is the trigger here. Does LXC and
VirtualBox really could co-exists together at the same time?

I intend to utilize the VirtualBox VMs for other-than-Linux-workload,
whereas the LXC containers for all Linux workload. For the info, the host
is a Linux Mint 13 (3.2.0-33-generic 64-bit) using VirtualBox 4.2.4. Both
VirtualBox VM's files and LXC container's rootfs are on top of ZFS
filesystem.

Thanks in advance!
Okky Hendriansyah