[Lxc-users] cloud environment

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Wed Nov 14 02:25:05 UTC 2012

Quoting Rintcius Blok (rintcius at gmail.com):
> Hi,
>
> Just curious.
> I was running an lxc-create command for ubuntu-cloud and saw this output:
>
> Configuring for running outside of a cloud environment
> If you want to configure for a cloud evironment, please use '-- -C' to
> create the container
>
> What the difference is between using '-- -C' or not, i.e. what is
> exactly the 'cloud environment' that is mentioned here?
> Since there is already some cloudy aspect implied by the ubuntu-cloud
> template name, I guess this is on a different level.
>
> Can someone shed some light on this?

It has to do with cloud-init searching for a metadata server which can
provide per-instance data.  Assuming you don't have a metadata server,
your container would probably never fully come up.  It's something which
comes preconfigured in the ubuntu-cloud images for the sake of
auto-configuration in amazon and openstack clouds (i.e. not in
containers, but on cloud VMs - the same image is used for both).  You
*could* set up your own metadata service, but I've never done it...

(See for instance
http://www.atlanticdynamic.com/you-should-be-using-cloud-init/ )

-serge