[Lxc-users] trouble with remote mounts, ssh and ftp clients from inside container behind private bridge & NAT

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Fri Nov 9 21:59:58 UTC 2012

I asked:

> Is there a way to do mounts by hand, or is does this only work if done in
> the container's fstab file?

Justin Cormack responded privately:

> Yes you can use "mount --bind old new" to test by hand.

Curiously, that even works when I have first a remote mount (in this case
CIFS) on the host mounted into the lxc guest's space, for instance to

  /var/lib/lxc/guest/rootfs/mnt/xyz

which initially leaves the mount visible from the host but not the guest.
But then

  mount -o bind /var/lib/lxc/guest/rootfs/mnt/xyz /var/lib/lxc/guest/rootfs/mnt/xyz

brings the mount into visibility on the guest.

Now if I can just figure out why yum and ftp don't want to work from inside
the guest. It seems a side effect of having the guest on a private bridge of
the host - or perhaps something odd the VMware LAN underneath the host is
imposing.

Whit