[Lxc-users] lxc-start: No such file or directory - failed to create symlink for kmsg

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Sat Nov 3 16:12:59 UTC 2012

On 11/03/2012 11:33 AM, Frank Scholten wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just built lxc from commit 5480b13b1c from sourceforge.
>
> I created an ubuntu container but then get several error messages when
> I start it.
>
> $ cat lxc.conf
> lxc.network.type    =   veth
> lxc.network.link    =   br0
> lxc.network.flags   =   up
> lxc.network.ipv4    =   192.168.20.20
> $ sudo /usr/local/bin/lxc-start  -n ubuntu -f lxc.conf
> lxc-start: No such file or directory - failed to create symlink for kmsg
> lxc-start: failed to setup kmsg for 'ubuntu'
> lxc-start: failed to setup the container
> lxc-start: invalid sequence number 1. expected 2
> lxc-start: failed to spawn 'ubuntu'
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Frank

Well, you're forcing your container to start with an incomplete config,
so it's completely expected that lxc won't be able to find the rootfs.

Such a lxc.conf is fine to use with lxc-create, but not with lxc-start.
Try to simply use "lxc-start -n ubuntu", this should then work fine.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer