[Lxc-users] Converting existing CentOS 6.x to container within Ubuntu 12.04 - can that be simple?

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Thu Nov 1 14:44:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com> wrote:
> Fajar,
>
> Thanks for the quick response. I've gotten a bit farther with VMware. It
> will allow br0 to be the interface on its guest - it just can't assign that
> by dhcp. But when I get the invocation right for a static assignment, it
> takes. It had been seeming that br0 for the host interface just wasn't an
> option under VMware.

It shouldn't matter.

Vmware shouldn't care what the interface name is under the guest OS.
Or what you do with it (bridge or not).

If you have an Ubuntu host, with a wired ethernet interface (e.g.
eth0), then you can create a bridge on top of that. It doesn't matter
whether the ubuntu host is actually native (on real server), a KVM
guest, or a vmware guest.

... of course there are probably some settings (even on real server +
switch) that limits only ONE MAC address on a single port. In this
case you can't use bridge. Again, it doesn't matter whether it's
vmware or not. It's a matter whether the switch (real or virtual,
doesn't matter) allows more than one MAC on a single port.

> Is a real bridge the only way to get an unique IP on the same LAN for the
> LXC guest,

That's the easy way.

> or would some combination of assigning a second IP to the LXC
> host, and then DNAT'ing ans SNAT'ing to it, work reasonably well?

That's the hard way. If you use this one you'd probably want to use a
host-only bridge (e.g.
http://wiki.1tux.org/wiki/Ubuntu/Bridge#Bridge_with_IP_address) and
setup NAT rules manually.

--