[Lxc-users] IPC shm settings in containers

Jan Den Ouden jan.ml at denouden.info
Mon May 28 10:55:11 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm using kernel 3.2.0 on Linux Mint 13. Inside a container I am running an
application which needs a lot of shared memory. On my host I have

lenovo memory # sysctl -a|grep shm
kernel.shmmax = 4398046511104
kernel.shmall = 1073741824
kernel.shmmni = 4096

However, in my container I see:

lenovo memory # sysctl -a|grep shm
kernel.shmmax = 4398046511104
kernel.shmall = 1073741824
kernel.shmmni = 4096

I don't understand where these much lower settings come from. Is this
because the IPC subsystem is isolated? When I try to change the setting in
the container it fails:

[root at ct1 ~]# sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=4398046511104
error: permission denied on key 'kernel.shmmax'

My lxc config file does not contain any entries to drop capabilities. What
do I need to do to enable change kernel parameters inside the container?

Many thanks for any help!

Jan