[Lxc-users] Network interface isolation

jeetu.golani at gmail.com jeetu.golani at gmail.com
Mon May 14 16:48:29 UTC 2012

Just to add to this discussion for the benefit of someone else that
runs into a similar issue. Tried the following :

>> lxc.network.type = phys
>> lxc.network.link = eth0

This resulted in the container failing to start with :

lxc-start: failed to move 'eth0' to the container : Message too long
lxc-start: failed to create the configured network
lxc-start: failed to spawn 'test1'
lxc-start: Device or resource busy - failed to remove cgroup
'/var/local/cgroup/test1'

As per a previous thread here
http://www.mail-archive.com/lxc-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00249.html

changed to lxc.network.type = macvlan

it all works well now :)....and as Matthijs suggests this now provides
network isolation and a single network interface eth0 in the
container.

Am sure there is a very good reason though I'm still not clear as to
why the default action for the container is to share the network stack
of the host in the absence of explicit specification in the config
file. Could someone please point me to a discussion on this just so I
can get a better understanding of lxc design decisions.

Are there other similar instances where I should make specific mention
in the config file in order to prevent accidental and inadvertent
sharing of resources between host and container?

Thanks again Matthijs and everyone here for all your help :)

Bye for now
Jeetu
ebrain.in | Beehive Computing
Discover and run software from devices around you - share your
software and computing resources. A GPLv3 licensed project.

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM, jeetu.golani at gmail.com