[Lxc-users] postgres

Matthijs Kooijman matthijs at stdin.nl
Mon May 14 09:05:20 UTC 2012

Hi Papp,

> kernel.shmmax = 2147483648
> kernel.shmall = 2147483648
> kernel.shmmni = 4096

I assume you misspelled "shmmin" there?

Where did you set these values?

> Originally the maximum value was 25M, I don't know how, but I could
> increase it until 29M.
> It starts fine with shared_buffers = 29M .
I'm not sure which value you are talking about now exactly? In the lines
you pasted above, you have shmmax and shmall set to 2048MB (2^31) and
shmmin to 4KB. Did you perhaps accidentally start increasing the shmmin
value instead of shmmax?

> the kernel with larger SHMMAX.  To reduce the request size (currently
> 34455552 bytes), reduce PostgreSQL's shared memory usage, perhaps by

This is just under 33MB, it seems, so it makes sense that it fails if
your max is set to 30MB. It is weird that it succeeds with 29M,
though. Perhaps postgresql is doing som checks against these parameters
and switches to a different mode of operation when you reach 30M for
some reason.

> If I chroot to the container from the host it just works as expected.
Does that still work if you change the value of shmmax in the host?

Gr.