[Lxc-users] container shutdown

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Mar 19 09:46:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano at free.fr> wrote:
> On 03/19/2012 02:45 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>> The problem with lxc is that AFAIK there's nothing standard on the
>> guest that can tell the host "I can do clean shutdown, don't kill me!"
>> (the equivalent of xenbus listener check).
>

> I am not sure to understand what you mean by 'clean shutdown'. Can you
> elaborate ?
> Do you mean 'reboot' is supported by the kernel when not in the initial pid
> namespace ?

I meant, the host will be able to signal an lxc container to shutdown
cleanly only in certain condition (like when using the old sysvinit
with pf enabled, or with upstart plus some new config file). There's
no way that I know of for the host to detect wether the guest has that
support or not.

>> - if clean shutdown will be the default action, there will be
>> additional modification in init/upstart config that can force-kill
>> guests after a timeout.
>>

> Do you mean when the host is shutdown, the upstart scripts will shutdown all
> the containers ?

Correct.

When the host is shutdown, the init script/upstart job for lxc on the
host should make sure that all containers are either shutdown cleanly
(when possible) or stopped/killed. If you don't implement a timeout in
lxc-stop, then the hosts' script/upstart should handle the timeout
condition.

--
Fajar