[Lxc-users] Ubuntu template questions

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Sun Mar 11 15:56:47 UTC 2012

Quoting Papp Tamas (tompos at martos.bme.hu):
> On 03/08/2012 04:30 PM, Papp Tamas wrote:
> > On 03/08/2012 09:27 AM, Papp Tamas wrote:
> >> hi All,
> >>
> >> I always created an own template with debootstrap and I used it.
> >>
> >> Now I tried lxc-create -t ubuntu and I still have some question and
> >> suggestion:
> >>
> >> 1. I suggest ntpdate not to be installed (remove after debootstrap).
> >> Also I think 'update-rc.d -f ondemand remove' would be fine in the
> >> container. Actually I see this somewhere in the script, but I had to
> >> do it manually.
> >> 2. It would be nice, if a postinstall script can be called automatically
> >> 3. I think rootfs.hold file should be documented better, for example
> >> with a text message in it.
> >> 4. I always wanted to ask, why lxc-create command has a switch '-n'
> >> if it defined in the configuration anyway?
> >> 5. There are a number of custom devices, which I think by default
> >> should not be there. For example tun and others. Or are they
> >> necessary? Is this just a kind of failsafe solution for the
> >> beginning/beginners which needs to be tuned?
> >> 6. How can I deploy it to a custom directory? With the switch '-B' I
> >> was not successful. Anyway, many times I just want to create a
> >> container with no individual partition (volume). Now I copied it from
> >> /var/lib/lxc.
> >> 7. Why does lxc-destroy remove the container files without asking
> >> about it? I think is a bad idea.
> >> 8. The script creates some custom upstart config file:
> >> lxc.conf: Why don't use lxcguest package?
> >> ssh.conf: why is this necessary?
> >> console.conf: It should be in the package upstart as tty[0-6].conf or
> >> in lxcguest package, isn't it?
> >>
> >> 9. The script just removes config files instead of using dpkg-divert:
> >> rm -f $rootfs/etc/init/tty{5,6}.conf
> >>
> >> chroot $rootfs /bin/bash -c 'cd /etc/init; for f in $(ls u*.conf); do
> >> mv $f $f.orig; done'
> >> chroot $rootfs /bin/bash -c 'cd /etc/init; for f in $(ls
> >> tty[2-9].conf); do mv $f $f.orig; done'
> >> chroot $rootfs /bin/bash -c 'cd /etc/init; for f in $(ls
> >> plymouth*.conf); do mv $f $f.orig; done'
> >> chroot $rootfs /bin/bash -c 'cd /etc/init; for f in $(ls
> >> hwclock*.conf); do mv $f $f.orig; done'
> >> chroot $rootfs /bin/bash -c 'cd /etc/init; for f in $(ls
> >> module*.conf); do mv $f $f.orig; done'
> >>

> >> Why?
> >>
> >> 10.
> >> if [ $release != "lucid" ]; then
> >>     sed -i 's/^.*emission handled.*$/echo Emitting lo/'
> >> $rootfs/etc/network/if-up.d/upstart
> >> fi
> >>         * Would not be better if there is an lxclo.conf from
> >> lxcguest? Than you don't need to worry about package updates.
> >
> > One more, I think very important question.
> > Still there is no nice stop method in init configuration:
> >

> >     for f in /etc/lxc/auto/*; do
> >         c="$(basename $f .conf)"
> >         lxc-stop -n $c || true
> >     done
>
> hi Guys,
>
> Are these questions or requests somehow not good?
> [...]

Sorry, I was out last week.  I'll take a look at these tomorrow.

Note that we don't want an lxcguest package any more.  Upstart and
userspace now know if they are in a container, so we want packages to
just do the right thing, if reasonable.  For precise, unless something
is very high priority it will be too late to make changes.  But if it's
high priority, then we may still get the fixes in.

thanks,
-serge