[Lxc-users] containers always seem to lock the host's X session

Joerg Gollnick code4lxc+list at wurzelbenutzer.de
Sat Jun 16 06:28:05 UTC 2012

Am Samstag, 16. Juni 2012, 00:01:53 schrieb Ramez Hanna:

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list at fajar.net> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM, John Maclean <jayeola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have built lxc from the git hub repo and have been able to create
> containers using the stock templates for fedora. However, whenever I
> start a container it always locks the hosts, X session.
>
> a - How can i diagnose this?
> b - How can i prevent this?

The easy way would be just to use ubuntu precise for your host. Seriously :)

The hard way, I think your guest is accessing your hosts's tty. You
can probably prevent that by something like this on your guests'
config file:

#==========
lxc.cgroup.devices.deny = a
# Allow any mknod (but not using the node)
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c *:* m
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = b *:* m
# /dev/null and zero
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:3 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:5 rwm
# consoles
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 5:1 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 5:0 rwm
#lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 4:0 rwm
#lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 4:1 rwm
# /dev/{,u}random
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:9 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:8 rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 136:* rwm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 5:2 rwm
# rtc
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 254:0 rwm
#fuse
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 10:229 rwm
#tun
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 10:200 rwm
#full
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:7 rwm
#hpet
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 10:228 rwm
#kvm
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 10:232 rwm
#==================

--
Fajar

here is what i do

i always start the container form a terminalnot frommy x session
i also use the following script to start the container this fixes all problem

====
# cat /home/rhanna/bin/lxc-start-fedora
#! /bin/bash
options=$(getopt -o n: -l name: -- "$@")
eval set -- "$options"
while true
do
case "$1" in
-n|--name) name=$2; shift 2;;
--) shift
break;;
*) break ;;
esac
done

if [ -z $name ]; then
echo "container name must be set, use -n|--name"
exit 1
fi
lxc-ls |grep $name >/dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
echo "Container does not exist"
exit 1
fi
lxc-info -s -n$name|grep RUNNING >/dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
echo "container already started"
exit 1
fi
mount |grep /tmp/lxc/$name > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
umount /tmp/lxc/$name
fi
rm -rf /tmp/lxc/$name
mkdir -p /tmp/lxc/$name
mount none /tmp/lxc/$name -t tmpfs
rsync -a /var/lib/lxc/$name/rootfs/dev/ /tmp/lxc/$name
mount /tmp/lxc/$name /var/lib/lxc/$name/rootfs/dev/ -obind
lxc-start $* -n $name

=====--

BR
RH
http://informatiq.org

If you start the container in a screen you can work around this.
/usr/bin/screen -dmS init-${container} /usr/bin/lxc-start -n ${container} -f
/etc/lxc/${container}.conf
With best regards Joerg