[Lxc-users] LXC on ubuntu precise and dhclient/net config

Vasiliy Molostov molostoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 19:00:28 UTC 2012

On Пн, 11 июн 12 14:42:12 Stéphane Graber wrote:
> Here's no such thing as a naming service, in most cases there's not even
> a service for that as resolv.conf is directly being read and used by the
> libc. Only the desktop machines get a system DNS server started (by
> Network Manager) and as all of this depends on specific service
> configuration, it's not realistic to expect a start condition to match
> all the cases.
> Upstart simply doesn't have the features that would be needed for this
> and we don't implement new features in released versions of Ubuntu, so
> we'll definitely look into minimizing problems for common cases, but I'm
> not convinced the case you're describing will fit the conditions.
> Well, in your case, you could simply write a /etc/init/lxc.override file
> containing:
> start on started isc-dhcp-server
> Which will override the start condition of lxc to only start once
> isc-dhcp-server has been reported as started.

I do not argue about this issue, nor even try to make you convinced, but I'm
just explained my view on how to make a possible solution, which in essence is
the same as the lxc-net upstart script, but refers to dhcpd instead of
dnsmasq.

It is a good thing to be an advocate of Ubuntu, but reality is that your
distro has both sysv and upstart on, both overconditioned with pre-start
conditions, and both are not working properly. Sorry, if this is out of the
scope of the list subject.