[Lxc-users] kernel.shmmax in LXC

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Sat Jun 9 10:38:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Stéphane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 06/08/2012 04:27 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

>>> I tried on a 3.0.0 kernel version and that works. Isn't possible this is
>>> related to app armor ?
>>
>> Yep, that should be it, as testing with apparmor disabled the
>> following works on guest container in my test system
>>
>> # cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
>> 33554432
>> # echo 335544320 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
>> # cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
>> 335544320
>>
>> However the apparmor problem might not seem obvious because there's no
>> apparmor warning on syslog when you try to set shmmax with apparmor
>> enabled. Also:
>> (1) If you ONLY uncomment "lxc.aa_profile=unconfined" (with apparmor
>> still enabled), lxc-start failed with
>> lxc-start: No such file or directory - failed to change apparmor
>> profile to unconfined
>> (2) If you ONLY add /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.lxc-start symlink to
>> /etc/apparmor.d/disable, you'd still get permission denied error
>> (3) If you ONLY disable apparmor entirely (/etc/init.d/apparmor
>> teardown), lxc-start failed with
>> lxc-start: No such file or directory - failed to change apparmor
>> profile to lxc-container-default
>> (4) Combining (1) and (2), or (1) and (3), you can set shmmax from
>> inside the guest container
>>
>> so there's probably still a bug (or more) in ubuntu's apparmor-lxc combo.
>
> Please reboot your machine ;) the unconfined profile problem (giving you
> the No such file or directory) was a kernel bug and was fixed a couple
> of weeks ago, letting me think you're running an out of date kernel.

Probably. Although there's no "please restart to complete update"
warning on my desktop. It's not really urgent for me though, so I'll
just reboot later when possible.

Thanks for letting me know that this is a fixed issue.

> As for shmmax, it's simply not whitelisted at the moment as it wasn't in
> the list of known-safe container aware proc entries, we probably should
> whitelist it (after doing some extra checking).

BTW, I thought that all blockings done by selinux would show up on
syslog? Am I looking at the wrong place?

If there were a warning on syslog, the OP would've probably been able
to solve their problem by themselves earlier.

--
Fajar