[Lxc-users] [SOLVED] Remedy for centos base installation failing operations on /sys?

Johannes Graumann johannes_graumann at web.de
Wed Jul 25 09:42:17 UTC 2012

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 4:20 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha
> <list at fajar.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Johannes Graumann
>> <johannes_graumann at web.de> wrote:
>>> On the container "/var/lib/rpm is now empty
>>
>> That is not right. It might be the source of your problem. Try
>>
>> yum --installroot=/some/path/of/your/choice groupinstall base
>>
>> ... and verify whether /var/lib/rpm under that path has some files (it
>> should). Just to check whether the problem is in your template, or in
>> your version of yum.
>
> I think I know what happens.
>
> Debian/Ubuntu's version of yum stores rpm database in /root/.rpm (when
> run as root). RHEL/Centos expects the db to be on /var/lib/rpm. Thus
> the problem.
>
> You can simply (in chroot or container) move all content in /root/.rpm
> to /var/lib/rpm, and the run "rpm --rebuilddb" .
>
> Strangely enough, eventhough your install process installs
> "filesystem" as a dependency, yum won't complain much if you can run
> "yum erase filesystem" inside the chroot environment :P. Not
> recommended though.

For the benefit of others (the mailing list refused my email replies in much
of this conversation): this problem is solved by doing the following as root
on the container:

PROMPT> cp -r /root/.rpmdb/* /var/lib/rpm/
PROMPT> rpm --define '_dbapi 3' --rebuilddb

Debian puts the database away in a user-specific directory and uses a
different db format ...

HTH.

Joh