[Lxc-users] lxcbr0 on Ubuntu 12.04

Clemens Perz cperz at gmx.net
Sat Jul 14 07:55:39 UTC 2012

On 13.07.2012 17:08, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> On 07/13/2012 03:36 AM, groupie wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I tried to figure out a glitch with the bridge interface in precise. Its
>> a fresh desktop install and after booting the machine, lxcbr0 never exists.
>>
>> I open a terminal and do sudo service lxc restart and woop, without
>> errors, it just comes up.
>>
>> Two more details: I dont have any containers in auto, I start them as
>> needed. And there is a named running for local dns resolution on all
>> virtual networks (using kde and vmware on the same machine)
>>
>> Any ideas where to tweak?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Your groupie
>
> You'll probably want to check /var/log/upstart/lxc* for errors.

That contained a hint indeed:
dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for 192.168.122.1: Address
already in use

A look into lxc-net.conf shows that it buggers out when it cant start
dnsmasq and removes the bridge completely. So at starttime named is some
milliseconds faster to aquire the bridge interface and makes dnsmasq
fail. Bridge removed, named kicked in the ass. So you do a restart later
everything works fine.

I just added USE_LXC_DNSMASQ="false" to the lxc defaults and the
corresponding if statement to lxc-net.conf. Works now even on boot time.

Cheers,
Groupie