[Lxc-users] container hostname not visible to host, ubuntu 12.04

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 6 16:13:29 UTC 2012

On 07/06/2012 12:01 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Stéphane Graber (stgraber at ubuntu.com):
>> On 07/06/2012 11:18 AM, Li, Zeyang wrote:
>>> That fixed my problem. million thanks :D
>>> Btw, is there a way to have lxc.init while not installing the full lxc
>>> package? Is lxc.init the only thing I need in the container to have
>>> lxc-execute working?
>>>
>>> Zeyang
>>
>> That's correct, you only need lxc-init. There's no easy way to only
>> install lxc-init though. I supposed you could try to copy lxc-init and
>> liblxc.so.0 to the container without actually installing the package.
>
> perhaps we should have lxc package providing configuration stuff, lxc-init
> package providing lxc-init, and both depending on liblxc package, which
> provides liblxc.so (with all the api and templates).

I suppose it'd actually be enough to just move lxc-init to liblxc0, then
you'd only need to install liblxc0 in the container for lxc-execute to work.

Where to put the templates is an interesting question, I think properly
splitting to different packages will be tricky at the beginning, so I'd
propose we initially go for the very simple:

 - lxc (arch: any, contains all the lxc-* commands, init scripts,
templates, apparmor profiles, ...)
 - liblxc0 (arch: any, multi-arch, contains liblxc0 and lxc-init)
 - liblxc-dev (arch: all, contains the headers)
 - python3-lxc (arch: any, python module and python wrapper)

lxc depends on liblxc0 (and may depend on python3-lxc at some point)
python3-lxc depends on liblxc0 and recommends lxc
liblxc0 recommends lxc
liblxc-dev depends on liblxc0

That'd allow someone to use:
apt-get install --no-install-recommends liblxc0

And only get liblxc0 + lxc-init in a container.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer