[Lxc-users] Can not write log, openpty() failed

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Wed Jan 25 15:24:30 UTC 2012

Quoting christian mueller (christian.mueller7 at gmx.de):
> Hi Serge,
>
> thanks for your reply and your work.
>

> > I assume you did '--path=/home/chm/lxc/myfirstcontainer/', not
> > '- path=/home/chm/lxc/myfirstcontainer/'?
> >

> yes, you are right.
>
> > > Would you mind opening a bug on launchpad?  Otherwise I'll do it.
>
> since i dont have a launchpad account, and you seem to have the better technical experience, maybe its the better choice if you file the bug.
>

> > Can I ask why you specified '--path'?
>
> i wanted the LXC container to reside on my home partition, since i have plenty of space left there. By default lxc-create installed the containers rootfs somewhere in my rootfs where space is limited.

Ok.  The --path to lxc-ubuntu is only meant to be used by lxc-create.  I've
removed it (in precise, not in oneiric which I think you're on) from the help
list.  I will add an option to lxc-create itself to specify where the rootfs
should be stored.  It'll look like

	lxc-create -t ubuntu -n p1 -f lxc.conf -B dir --rootfs /home/chm/lxc/p1

For now, I recommend you do it the old fashioned way:  either symlink or
bind mount /home/chm/lxc to /var/lib/lxc:

	rm -rf /var/lib/lxc
	mkdir -p /home/chm/lxc
	ln -s /home/chm/lxc /var/lib/lxc

Now just do

	lxc-create -f lxc.conf -n p1 -t ubuntu

and the container will sit in your homedir.

-serge