[Lxc-users] Progress Linux upgrade

Daniel Baumann daniel.baumann at progress-technologies.net
Sat Jan 7 09:21:42 UTC 2012

On 01/07/2012 04:31 AM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> # apt-cache policy lxc
> lxc:
>   Installed: 0.7.2-1
>   Candidate: 0.7.2-1
>   Version table:
>      0.7.5-17~artax1 0
>         500 http://archive.progress-linux.org/progress/ artax-backports/main amd64 Packages
>      0.7.2-1artax12 0
>         500 http://archive.progress-linux.org/progress/ artax/main amd64
> Packages
>  *** 0.7.2-1 0
>         900 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

this shows (and the other one for linux-image shows the same) that
eventhough you said you've copied the stuff from the wiki for
/etc/apt/preferences, it's not used by apt (since 0.7.5-17~artax1 is at
priority 500, not 999; and 0.7.2-1 is at 900, which is totally off).

that can have two reasons:

a) your /etc/apt/prefrerences or /etc/apt/preferences.d/* is wrong

b) you have not imported the archive signing keys for artax, or you have
at least another repository in /etc/apt/sources.list or
/etc/apt/sources.list.d that has its key not imported.

for a), like i said, you don't need the pinning at all, if you only have
the debian.org sources and artax-backports, then you can remove
/etc/apt/preferences or /etc/apt/preferences.d/* entirely, and just use

apt-get install -t artax-backports lxc

etc.

for b), make sure that if you do 'apt-get update', you don't get any
warnings about untrusted repositories.

> Now I imagine the fault could be in /etc/apt/preferences, which I set per
> your example in http://wiki.progress-linux.org/software/apt/ to be as so:

[...]

> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Debian,a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 900
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Debian
> Pin-Priority: -10

this is wrong, i don't know why you put this in, the wiki page doesn't
tell you to do that. it's wrong on any circumstance, unrelated to
progress linux.

> Why is it really more sensible to spend my time debugging this
> stuff than it would be to just build a custom kernel?

if you do exactely (and not more, not less, and nothing different) what
i told you, stuff works right away. if you deviate, of course, it needs
some one time fiddling. after that, you get all the kernel updates for
free at no more work than a simple apt-get upgrade.

otoh, if you build your own, you would be building all kernel updates
for yourself all the time until you upgrade to wheezy. to me, the
disadvantages of that seems obvious, ymmv.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann at progress-technologies.net
Internet:       http://people.progress-technologies.net/~daniel.baumann/