[Lxc-users] lxc-console on Debian Squeeze - buggy?

Daniel Baumann daniel.baumann at progress-technologies.net
Fri Jan 6 17:19:00 UTC 2012

On 01/06/2012 06:08 PM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> If 0.7.5. doesn't fully work on 2.6.32, and if backports are available, it's
> too bad neither is mentioned at http://wiki.debian.org/LXC, which is where
> http://lxc.sourceforge.net/ links for Debian-specific info.

that wiki page should imho go away in some time; i intend to extend and
merge my own notes[0] into README.Debian, so we don't need a wiki page
for specifics that no one is going to 'maintain'.

unrelated to that: my backports for squeeze are available here:

deb http://archive.progress-linux.org/progress/ artax-backports main
contrib non-free

> On the other hand if there's someplace that concisely describes LXC's kernel
> dependencies (particularly what it would like to see that the 2.6.32 kernel
> doesn't provide), I'd be perfectly happy to build a 3.2 kernel to make the
> system happier with LXC.

i'm maintaining squeeze backports of the kernel (and some related
packages for it) in above mentioned repository. feel free to use them.

note that running lxc with more recent kernels is highly desireable.
besides the fact the stock 2.6.32 from squeeze has no support for memory
controller enabled (i maintain a rebuild of the squeeze kernel to fix
that, including installer images, as 'artax' on progress-linux.org),
however, older kernels including squeeze most prominently also have
incomplete support for some process isolations (e.g. a 'ps' in a
container sees all processes of the host).

[0] http://wiki.progress-linux.org/software/lxc/

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann at progress-technologies.net
Internet:       http://people.progress-technologies.net/~daniel.baumann/