[Lxc-users] LXC container with Ubuntu desktop in an Ubuntu 12.10 host

brian mullan bmullan.mail at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 20:15:17 UTC 2012

I've been using Ubuntu 12.10 for a couple months and one more problem I've
had
recently was with trying to install an Ubuntu "desktop" in an LXC container.
I should mention that my host machine used Unity.

Maybe this is just affecting me but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has
had this problem.

I do the following:

   - sudo lxc-create -t ubuntu -n mycontainer
   - sudo lxc-start -n my container

when its started I log into the container using ubuntu:ubuntu and do the
following

   - sudo apt-get update
   - sudo apt-get upgrade
   - sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

After it completes I reboot the container and use one of several methods to
log into the new container's Ubuntu desktop (vnc, x2go etc).

I've now done this a couple times just to verify I hadn't done something
stupid
but each time I log in I see the normal Ubuntu desktop EXCEPT there
is no Launcher on the left or Menu bar at the top ??

I did do some google searches and it appears there are quite a few people
reporting something similar to this with their regular Ubuntu system
desktops
(re non-LXC) but my "host" Ubuntu 12.10 desktop works correctly.

Has anyone else had this problem creating an Ubuntu Unity desktop inside
an LXC container on Ubuntu 12.10.

brian