[Lxc-users] Networking between host and container

Marko Anastasov marko.anastasov at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 12:20:09 UTC 2012

On Dec 28, 2012, at 11:47 , Stéphane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 12/28/2012 10:27 AM, Marko Anastasov wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> What is the best way to broadcast container's hostname to host? I want to be able to ssh from host into the container using its hostname as handle, instead of an IP address.
>>
>> I'm using the default template in Ubuntu 12.04. I have made a container template that I want to reuse. My first attempt was to install avahi-daemon on host and container, replace hostname in container config, fstab, /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname and dhclient.conf with some unique id. This worked in VirtualBox, but for some reason not on a real machine.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marko
>
> Not exactly an answer to your question, but should be an answer to your
> problem anyway:
> http://www.stgraber.org/2012/07/17/easily-ssh-to-your-containers-and-vms-on-ubuntu-12-04-lts/

Hi Stéphane,

I should note that I'm working with a server installation of 12.04, and packages dnsmasq and resolvconf are actually not installed by default. I've added them but I'm not sure what's next. So I think I'm missing some configuration that you assume on your blog.

Eg output of host $(echo %h | sed "s/\\.lxc//g") 10.0.3.1 is

Using domain server:
Name: 10.0.3.1
Address: 10.0.3.1#53
Aliases: