[Lxc-users] how to install LXC on CentOS 6.3?

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Sat Dec 22 01:12:25 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 5:15 AM, Jun Yang <jyang825 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just rented a dedicated server.  My provider only has CentOS 6.3
> available.

My best advice would be to change providers. Seriously :)

For example, servercraft rents atoms with 4GB RAM, running Ubuntu,
complete with remote access via IPMI, under $50.

>  I have had great experience with LXC on Ubuntu.

Exactly.

> From Google search I can only find very scarce
> information about how to install LXC on CentOS, which is quite surprising to
> me.  Doing "yum install lxc"  returns "No package lxc available".

lxc is kinda new. It often requires kernel features not present on the
archaic redhat/centos kernel.

You COULD force it to work by (e.g.) installing kernel-uek2 or
kernel-ml (Google for details), and install lxc userland manually. But
there might be known bugs creeping. And when that happens, Ubuntu is
the only distro I know that provides fixes in ready-to-use packages in
a timely-acceptable manner.

--
Fajar