[Lxc-users] start order

Jäkel, Guido G.Jaekel at dnb.de
Wed Dec 12 08:03:00 UTC 2012

>On the other hand, I *do* also feel that any services on the containers
>ought to be robust to unavailability, so that startup order should not
>matter.

Dear Serge,

yes - it's Xmas time, bells are ringing and all is warm and bright. ;)

Unfortunately, it matters to the greater part of software. The better on will run into an (comparable short) timeout and fail in a defined way on startup. The other part will run but fail later or have lacks in an functional way without recovering from it if the preconditions become available. And all of us will have seen some software which need some later unused requirements.

Why we should need the similar mechanisms in all of the system init frameworks, if every part of the puzzle will just well-behaved wait until all preconditions are fulfilled ...

Guido