[Lxc-users] start order

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Mon Dec 10 17:35:24 UTC 2012

Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw at WittsEnd.com):
> On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 08:10 -0600, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw at wittsend.com):
> > > There has been very little discussion in the main project over how to
> > > manage autobooting containers (or maybe I've missed it).  Maybe it's
> > > time we had it.
> > >
> > > What I do now is specific to my constellations of 6 lxc hosts (about 4
> > > dozen guest containers) at two sites.  I would personally prefer this
> > > sort of information to be contained in the individual container config
> > > files, ala OpenVZ and Linux-Vservers, without creating an entirely new,
> > > distribution specific, configuration file.
> > >
> > > Primary argument with having it contained within the container config
> > > really concerns migration.  When I migrated a container from one host to
> > > another host in the same cluster, if all that information is in the
> > > container config, it follows along.  If you bury it in a common config,
> > > you then have to edit those configuration files on both the servers (the
> > > throwing and the catching) in order to properly complete the migration.
> > > I don't like that idea at all.
> >
> > Buried in a config, but it could be exposed by lxc-info so it wouldn't
> > be so bad.  Though I guess it could be an issue for boot-speed fanatics
> > who want to minimize random disk access during boot.
>
> I won't say that I'm a boot speed fanatic but I can be (more than) a
> little OCD with regards to getting certain critical containers up as
> quickly as possible even where other delays dominate.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I meant by that :)  By boot speed
fanatics, I meant people who want to avoid having init scripts look under
/etc/default/$pkg because that adds seeking which slows down boot.

For those people, if any laptop that has some containers will, at boot,
have to scan /var/lib/lxc/*/config to find lxc.boot entries, that will
be unacceptable.  And TBH since my main laptop has an SSD but doesn't
suspend/resume, 5 sec boot time is precious to me.  But I don't autostart
containers on that laptop.

With 'boot speed fanatics' I was not talking about people who want
containers brought up at boot.

-serge