[Lxc-users] [systemd-devel] Unable to run systemd in an LXC / cgroup container.

John lxc at jelmail.com
Thu Dec 6 10:13:03 UTC 2012

On 05/12/12 21:59, Serge Hallyn wrote:

> You have to specify a template, i.e. '-t debian'.

Oh. I wasn't using a template.

Up to now, I have an existing root fileyststem, say
/srv/lxc/mycontainer.x86_64 that is pointed to by my configuration file,
say mycontainer.conf, by its lxc.rootfs entry. I have seen lxc-create as
merely inserting the config from mycontainer.conf into
/var/lib/lxc/mycontainer/config and nothing more.

I haven't used a template script to create a container because I've got
my own that I have been using ever since I first started using lxc
(there were no templates back then, well not for arch anyway!).

I've always done a destroy/create to update the LXC configuration for a
container. This now seems to be the wrong way given destroy removes the
rootfs and create expects a template. What's the new way ?

I've looked at the man page for lxc-create but am none the wiser. How do
I now create a container (or just update the config) for an existing
root filesystem ?

Thanks,
John