[Lxc-users] [systemd-devel] Unable to run systemd in an LXC / cgroup container.

John lxc at jelmail.com
Tue Dec 4 20:40:15 UTC 2012

On 26/10/12 22:02, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-10-26 at 12:11 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>>> Yes, this is documented, please see the link I already posted, and which
>>> I linked above a second time.
>> This may have been my fault.  I was using the -o option to lxc-start
>> (output logfile) and failed to specify the -c (console output redirect)
>> option.  It seems to fire up nicely (albeit with other problems) with
>> that additional option.  Continuing my research.
> Confirming.  Using the -c option for the console file works.
> Unfortunately, thanks to no getty's on the ttys so lxc-console does not
> work and no way to connect to that console redirect and the failure of
> the network to start, I'm still trying to figure out just what is face
> planting in a container I can not access.  :-/=/  Punch out the punch
> list one PUNCH at at time here.

>>> I can't parse this. The system call reboot() is virtualized for
>>> containers just fine and the container managaer (i.e. LXC) can check for
>>> that easily.
>> Apparently, in recent kernels, we can.  Unfortunately, I'm still finding
>> that I can not restart a container I have previously halted.  I have no
>> problem with sysvinit and upstart systems on this host, so it is a
>> container problem peculiar to systemd containers.  Continuing to
>> research that problem.
>>
>>> Lennart
>>> --
>>> Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.
>> Regards,
>> Mike

> WINDOWS 8 is here.
> Millions of people.  Your app in 30 days.
> Visit The Windows 8 Center at Sourceforge for all your go to resources.
> http://windows8center.sourceforge.net/
> join-generation-app-and-make-money-coding-fast/

I raised the question about LXC/systemd a while back and have been
trying to follow the conversation but I have to admit it's going
somewhat over my head. I've also been away on another piece of work but
would now like to understand where things lie with LXC and systemd
inside a container.

I have just updated my system to 0.8.0 and I can't see any changes to
make a systemd container work. Are there changes in 0.8.0 ?

If so, I'd be grateful for some guidance on what I need to do to to my
configuration to make it work.

I'm also happy to help test this if I can. If it helps I am on Arch Linux.

many thanks everyone.

John