[Lxc-users] lxc-execute-ephemeral-repeatedly ?

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Fri Aug 31 20:12:32 UTC 2012

Quoting Dan Kegel (dank at kegel.com):
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Serge Hallyn
> <serge.hallyn at canonical.com> wrote:
> >> A contrib directory (perhaps not even part of the package), with a
> >> wiki page listing them, would be fine.
> >>
> >> It's more of an example than anything else, but a page full of
> >> examples is a good thing.
> >
> > Daniel, do you have any opinions on where we could/should host such an
> > examples tree?
> >
> > I could create a github or bzr tree for it.  My policy would be "I
> > have not reviewed these, my only requirement for my accepting a script
> > would be some semblence of usefulness and a GPL license at top"
>
> My preference would be a contrib directory somewhere in the main source tree.
> Packagers would be encouraged to not bother packaging it, or
> packaging it as part of the doc.
>
> A separate repo is likely to rot quicker IMHO.

The reason I was trying to avoid that is that there's already a huge
backlog of patches for Daniel to sort through, so avoiding adding to
his load seems worthwhile.  On the other hand, if he's ok with the
"so long as it looks useful and has GPL license, I'll accept it with
zero guarantee about bugs", that might work.

We also might fight this using an 'askubuntu.com' style approach.  Let
people upload their scripts wherever they want (in a format which can
be downloaded plaintext with one click), and have a central page where
they can post the url and a short one-line description.  Then let users
vote scripts up/down - which could help avoid rot.

I think I'm overthinking this :)

-serge