[Lxc-users] lxc-execute-ephemeral?

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Fri Aug 24 16:38:48 UTC 2012

Quoting Dan Kegel (dank at kegel.com):
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Serge Hallyn
> <serge.hallyn at canonical.com> wrote:
> >> I'm a bit confused about what upstream is, though.
> >> git://lxc.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/lxc/lxc still seems to
> >> be behind https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/lxc_0.8.0~rc1-4ubuntu28.debian.tar.gz
> >> by about 75 patches, and lxc-start-ephemeral isn't even in git.
> >> So what would the patch be against -- lxc-start-ephemeral as installed by the
> >> latest quantal?
> >> And will it eventually land at lxc.git.sourceforge.net?
> >
> > Upstream is the sourceforge tree.  My github tree
> > (git://github.com/hallyn/lxc) is a staging tree for patches which are in the
> > Ubuntu package, but are not yet upstream.  The ubuntu package is a distro
> > package, not upstream.
>
> Is it planned for lxc-start-ephemeral to land upstream sometime,
> or is it a purely ubuntu thing?
>
> I should have mentioned it before, but I'm very happy
> lxc-start-ephemeral exists.  It looks very useful indeed, thanks.
> - Dan

Thanks.

I think we might rewrite it using the python api once that is pushed,
and then push it upstream.  (You can see the api right now in the
latest quantal package source - bzr branch ubuntu:lxc)  The script
as it stood didn't seem upstreamable.  Both because the code is scary,
and because its command line interface and its output needs to be more
focused.  So far it mostly only addresses the needs of the one person
who wrote the original version.  Input from you about how you want to
use it will help address that.

-serge