[Lxc-users] lxc-execute-ephemeral?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Aug 24 13:56:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Serge Hallyn
<serge.hallyn at canonical.com> wrote:
> I think you're better off submitting a patch to make lxc-start-ephemeral
> work better for you.  I.e. an option to have it print the container
> name to a file, or have it optionally internally use lxc-console instead
> of ssh, etc.  In other words you don't have to hack around its shortcomings,
> feel free to address them instead.  Once you're sure exactly what you need.

OK.

(I think I'll want to submit two patches:
1. -d should wait until init is finished, to ease grabbing the container name
2. add an optional -n flag for those who are quite sure they want to name
the ephemeral container something nonrandom.  (The caller would have
to make sure that name is available first somehow.)

I'm a bit confused about what upstream is, though.
git://lxc.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/lxc/lxc still seems to
be behind https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/lxc_0.8.0~rc1-4ubuntu28.debian.tar.gz
by about 75 patches, and lxc-start-ephemeral isn't even in git.
So what would the patch be against -- lxc-start-ephemeral as installed by the
latest quantal?
And will it eventually land at lxc.git.sourceforge.net?

Thanks,
Dan