[Lxc-users] LXC in production envivroment

István Király - LaKing d250 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 13:27:42 UTC 2012

Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate it.

I have a server currently running with ISPconfig 3, but I don't really like that system at all.

It is over-complicating things. It works as a shared-host, but it is not an optimal solution. I would rather like to have a virtual-server farm or better said lxc container-farm, as soon as possible. ..

So I started a project, TURM - http://sourceforge.net/projects/turm/
.. and was working on it for a while. After reaching a basic level of functionality, I was auditing my code for security, and during the research I came across this post:
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
.. felt that something is not right with PHP, and this post nailed it to the point. I realized PHP is, .. how to say gently, not right for me .. ( + I use weird scripting techniques if the language allows)

Now I'm at the point where I plan to re-implement turm in Ruby. ..

Anyone got any experience with Lexy? Seems to be a very similar project ...

http://jacoblewallen.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/lexy-a-web-ui-for-lxc/

Should LXC be used directly, or is there an API like libvirt necessery / handy in setting up networking for example?

My desktop OS is Fedora 17 at the moment, and I'm happy with it. For some reason on my current desktop PC, Ubuntu didn't install.

On my server I'm using Fedora at the moment - it is okay, but there been
some crashes during the years, once or twice thru a software update, and hardware is failing from time to time too.

Got also hacked once or twice (via PHP) and I really want a stable isolated environment, where users can use root-level ssh in their containers. ..

I don't really see a major difference between Ubuntu and Fedora, ..
however if you say that Ubuntu is probably more stable or secure, I may switch to
it. CentOs is stable, but as you say, ancient. :)  ..

I want to put together the right tool set, the right software environment now, so I can create a container farm, with two or more physical servers, and a nice GUI that I can present even for normal users.

Any advice appreciated, and considered. ..

Thank you.

LaKing at D250.hu
D250 Laboratories
www.D250.hu