[Lxc-users] Fuse inside container on Arch Linux

John lxc at jelmail.com
Fri Sep 16 12:47:03 UTC 2011

Hi, has anyone got Fuse working within a container, ideally on Arch
Linux but guidance from anyone appreciated :)

Firstly, I have an Arch Linux container that is a really old test
container and many things have been added/removed on the fly over time.
The container's a mess and I don't know for sure what's been installed
on it. But, in this container, fuse works fine.

I have a new container that I am trying to build in a controlled manner.
It contains fuse on a base Arch Linux container. In this container fuse
does not work.

The error I get is "fusermount: mount failed: Operation not permitted".

In both cases I am testing as root to avoid permissioning problems.

Both the above containers are on the same host.

I have the same lxc.conf arguments in both containers for fuse:

lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 10:229 rwm

I also added the below (but it made no difference, so not sure if needed):

lxc.mount.entry = fusectl /srv/lxc/mycontainer/sys/fs/fuse/connections
fusectl rw,relatime 0 0

In the container, device node exists:

# ls -l /dev/fuse
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 10, 229 Sep 16 13:23 /dev/fuse

I expect i need to install something else, something that my older
container has but I can't quite see. If anyone has this working and
there is anything obvious missing from the above please let me know what
I've missed...

Thanks,
John