[Lxc-users] Problem with lxc-attach on Linux v3.1.0

Nikhil Handigol nikhil.handigol at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:23:25 UTC 2011

Thanks Daniel!

The linux-3.0 patches don't seem to be working for me unfortunately.

I compiled lxc-0.7.5 with the patched linux-3.0. After starting a container
"foo" via lxc-execute,I ran the following command:
$ lxc-attach -n foo -- /bin/bash

When I run lxc-attach, I get the following error:
lxc-attach: Function not implemented - failed to set namespace 'pid'
lxc-attach: failed to enter the namespace

Upon more probing into the errno, I found:
errno = 38
strerror says: Function not implemented

The required ns files do seem to be present in /proc/<pid>/ns:
$ ls /proc/28559/ns/
ipc mnt net pid user uts

I also double-checked that all the setns patches were properly applied to
the kernel:
$ quilt top
0016-ns-proc-Enable-setns-for-support-for-the-pid-namespa.patch

I'd appreciate any help in fixing this error.

Thanks,
Nikhil