[Lxc-users] stopping a container

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Sep 5 16:34:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 09:24 +0200, Papp Tamas wrote:
> On 09/05/2011 08:38 AM, Jäkel, Guido wrote:
> >> What is the right way to stop a container?
> > Dear Papp,
> >
> > Like with the thread paradigm in computing langugages, the "right"
> way is that the thread decides to stop. Therefore your container have
> to leave.
> >
> > Depending on your Linxus flavor inside the container, you e.g. may
> send a signal to it's init process to proper shut down. This mechanism
> is "historical" intended to be used by an USV poser supply. In the
> moment, I'm using an old-style sytem v init and I may just send a
> SIGINT to reboot and a SIGPWR to halt it (must be enabled in the
> inittab).
> >

> > Another (planned) way is to use lxc-execute, but this is still not
> working. Ulli Hornbacher therefore wrote it's own workaround: A little
> daemon executes all command pushed in by a command running at the host
> -- disregarding to all aspects of security.
> >
> > If you're running a sshd inside the container -- and in the most
> case you will I think -- you may use this (with a deposited key) to
> directly send commands to it.
>
> hi,
>
> I don't like the ssh way. I think, halting a container automatically
> through an ssh connection is a joke, wich should not be used in any
> way.

Another way that I have used is to send the init process a kill signal.
I think it was the "power fail" sig but that should do it.  That
definitely worked with the sysv init but I see to recall I had some
problem with upstart (and systemd won't currently run in a container
anyways - so you can forget that pig).