[Lxc-users] Bug discussion: implementing high virtual device MAC addresses

Derek Simkowiak derek at simkowiak.net
Mon Oct 24 22:49:29 UTC 2011

     Serge,
     Thank you for looking at this.

Serge> /However, I actually don't think it should happen the way you
describe./

     I believe you have mis-read my description.  I think we are
actually in agreement with what is happening.

     You said:

Serge> /So the mac address of the veth endpoint in the container should
not matter./

     I think that is the same thing that I said:

Derek> [The problem MAC address] is NOT the mac address specified in
lxc.conf, like this:

lxc.network.hwaddr = fe:16:3e:fd:5a:5b

	That MAC address has nothing to do with the bug; the host's bridge
device (br0) will never assume a configured LXC MAC address as its own.

     Also, you said:

Serge> /The other endpoint, the veth which stays in the host's network
namespace, that is the one which gets placed on the bridge./

     I agree, that is the address which causes the ~4 network second
freeze.  As I said in my original description:

Derek>> ...the MAC address in question is the one of the virtual
vethXXXX device, as shown with "ifconfig" on the host:

veth0IEDlk Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 4e:34:7c:dc:92:e8
[...snip...]

     So, are we in agreement that the problem address is NOT the one in
the LXC .conf file (as specified by the user), but instead is the
"random" address of the veth device on the host?

Serge> /Hmm, I haven't seen this happen at all./

     I have seen it on Ubuntu 10.04, and there was an independent
description of the same symptom (and a different but very similar
work-around) filed in SourceForge here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3411497&group_id=163076&atid=826303

     (That's SF bug ID# 3411497.)

     As described in the libvirt bugfix for this issue (linked below),
the reason some people see it and some people don't is that it only
happens when the veth MAC address is lower than that of the physical
eth0 device's MAC address.  (That is how the Linux kernel handles it, by
design.  I don't know why.)

     Since the MAC address is randomly chosen, it is a random symptom
that will vary from one NIC to another.  Those who happen to have a high
MAC address for eth0 will see it more frequently (but still randomly.)
This is a major impact on production symptoms, where a ~4 second network
freeze could trigger admin alerts and/or failover scripts.  (Note the
exact duration of the network freeze also depends on your switches and
routers, and how they handle ARP caching.)

Thank You,
Derek Simkowiak