[Lxc-users] Live Migration of LXC

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Mon Oct 24 12:36:59 UTC 2011

On 10/24/2011 02:07 PM, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> On Mon 2011-10-24 (12:03), Greg Kurz wrote:
>
>> C/R and live migration is a complicated matter for LXC containers.
> I have assumed nothing else...
>

>> No status for the moment... I guess people who really want migration
>> should participate
> Not every LXC (admin-)user is a kernel hacker, too. I am fluent in Perl
> programming, but not in C.
>

>> at least to show kernel maintainers there's a demand for it.
> How can we do this? Send mass e-mails (spam) to the kernel maintainers? :-)

Different approaches were proposed:

 * CR from userspace only : we know it is not possible to fully support
the CR with this approach.

 * CR from the kernel space : the CR is monolithic and is very intrusive
in the different kernel subsystems and their interactions make the
maintenance very complicate for the owner of the subsystem. This is why
this approach has been nacked from the community.

 * a hybrid CR where the userspace collects CR information exported from
the kernel. IHMO, this approach is the better in terms of maintenance
and flexibility.

The latter is for the moment investigated by the containers@ community
and AFAIK this approach has a better chance to be accepted but there is
still a lot of work to do.