[Lxc-users] A footing for lxc - a fitted distribution

Clemens Perz cperz at gmx.net
Thu Oct 20 09:25:43 UTC 2011

Hi all,

does anybody know about a minimized, actively maintained distribution,
that brings everything to run a container, and thats it?

I was thinking to have a very small and very up-to-date base
installation on my notebook and start my desktop directly in a container.

At first glance, maybe arch linux could be the right platform for it.
But minimal install with 460 mb may contain a lot of things I dont need.
So before forking and stripping it, I would like to ask you humble
optinions :))

Here are some constrains and features, I was thinking about:

- minimal set of libs and tools, only stuff really needed to get a
  container up and running
- current versions of the software and kernel
- minimized dependency hell
- optional: backup system
- optional: kvm

I took a look at gentoo too, but it seems to me this would be a very
very advanced approach, instead of an only advanced aproach :))

Cheers,
Clemens