[Lxc-users] Graceful shutdowns: current best practices?

Jäkel, Guido G.Jaekel at dnb.de
Wed Oct 19 07:00:51 UTC 2011

>> 4. Which signal?  SIGINT?  SIGPWR?  Both?
>
>Does only work for init based systems, not for upstart, like Ubuntu!

Dear Derek,

Sending a SIGINT to init will invoke the alsctrldel entry of the  /etc/inittab  . A SIGPWR will (in absence of /etc/powerfail) call the powerfail entry. In a common setup, sending SIGINT will cause a reboot and SIGPWR will halt the client system.  In my Gentoo environment, I'm currently using

	<container>/etc/inittab

	[...]
	ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -r now
	pf:12345:powerwait:/sbin/halt
	[...]

But I'm still using the so-called baselayout-1. Some time ago Gentoo have shifted to baselayout-2, which use openRC. To my knowledge, it's init don't respect this signals, too. Because of that, I decide to wait until the lxc-attach functionality is stable.

greetings

Guido