[Lxc-users] OUI

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Tue Oct 18 20:30:02 UTC 2011

So after looking at the IEEE site about applying for an OUI, it seems to
me there needs to be some actual entity to do that appplication. Since I
am not a principle developer nor is my company more than an interested
user, I can't really just go ahead and do it myself under either my own
name or my companies.

So I think this group called the Software Freedom Conservanc seems to be
offering to be exactly this sort of agent for open source software
projects. They do things like own domains and hold donation funds for
hosting and provide legal support and essentially do all the stuff
developers don't want to have to do, but which a project sometimes needs
_somebody_ to do.

I have a few questions and statements for the list at large:

* Any objection to me sending them an initial feeler about applying for
use of their service? See proposed email below.

* I am willing to help pay for things like the OUI ($1750) and outright
pay for things like a normal/affordable domain. lxc-tools.org is
available and only 12/year from joker.com (pick any registrar, some are
cheaper, I just don't like Network Solutions or Go-Daddy because they
are big and careless, and I happen to have been using joker for a few
other domains.), and at least help pay for hosting if/when we actually
need something other than sourceforge, say for the wiki.

* But I don't want to be in the position of collecting contributions nor
do I think anyone else wants to either, so an independent outsider
sounds good to me.

* The whole point, as stated right on their web site is so that mostly
everyone can keep on not thinking about stuff like this except the
little bit needed to deal with them in the first place.

I know it seems overkill but I would like an OUI and I don't want it to
be mine or my company's. I want my company to merely contribute towards
it. The website/wiki stuff is just a little bonus since sourceforge is
fine. I would actually just get a domain and point it right at the
sourceforge page anyways at least for now.