[Lxc-users] Linux Containers vs Solaris Zones

bruce bushby bruce.bushby at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 09:14:38 UTC 2011

Hello

I'm hoping someone on the list could answer a couple of questions. I
believe Linux Containers are the perfect answer to some of the issues
I have at work but wanted to confirm some technical bits before
formally submitting any designs. I have worked with Solaris Zones in
the past.

The questions:
Does each "Linux Container" have it's own "network stack"?
If so, how independent is the stack....ie could each container have a
different routing table?
Does the "Linux Container" share the rpmdb of the "physical host" ....
or can each lxc have it's own rpmdb?
Does the "Linux Container" share passwd/shadow/pam authentication of
the physical host?
How does the "Linux Container" handle network cards/MAC addresses?

I noticed my RHN Satellite RHEL 6.1 channel doesn't contain the lxc
rpm, anybody running containers on RHEL 6.1.

Any answers or comments would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Bruce