[Lxc-users] Dependencies Use Cases

Alex Eagar alexeagar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 08:33:13 UTC 2011

I would like to use LXC on Ubuntu 11.10, but there are a few points
that I'm having a hard time figuring out. I have been reading
documentation, but it's a bit spread out and differs a bit from site
to site.

Please share your opinion and perspective about the dependencies and
recommends of the LXC package in Ubuntu, particularly what you can
imagine the use cases would be for installing or not installing
recommended packages.

>From Aptitude on Ubuntu amd64 11.10

lxc
- Depends (2)
-- libc6 (>= 2.8)
-- libcap (>= 2.10)
- Recommends (3)
-- cgroup-lite | cgroup-bin
-- debootstrap
-- libcap2-bin

cgroup-bin
- Depends (3)
-- libc6 (>= 2.7)
-- libcgroup1
-- upstart-job

cgroup-lite
- Depends (1)
-- upstart-job
- Conflicts
-- cgroup-bin

>From my perspective, having only read about LXC, it seems like libcap
and libcgroup1 should be dependencies of LXC while libcap2-bin and
cgroup-bin should be recommends of LXC. No offence to the creator of
cgroup-lite, but from my limited perspective it seems like
uninstalling LXC is a better solution than using cgroup-lite.

Description of cgroup-lite.
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/packages/show/365681

Rational behind cgroup-lite.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libcgroup/+bug/829628