[Lxc-users] Weirdness with lxc.network.hwaddr and connectivity loss

Manuel de Ferran manuel.deferran at gmail.com
Mon May 23 10:31:36 UTC 2011

Greetings lxc-users,

I'm running lxc 0.7.4-0ubuntu7 on an ubuntu 11.04 with kernel
2.6.38-8-generic.

There is something I don't understand with the lxc.network.hwaddr. I was
expecting to have the veth MAC addr set to it, but it appears that is only
setting the vm ethernet.

If we can not use this parameter to set the veth MAC address, how do you
deal with the bridge switch to lowest MAC ? This switch implies a
connectivity loss on lxc-stop

As an example, I have :
# brctl show
bridge name    bridge id        STP enabled    interfaces
br0        8000.f46d04b3e02e    no        eth0

But when I run  'lxc-start', I get a random MAC address, and the br0 mac
switch to it in most cases

# brctl showmacs br0
port no    mac addr        is local?    ageing timer
  2    56:82:9a:de:9c:0a    yes           0.00
  1    f4:6d:04:b3:e0:2e    yes           0.00

# brctl show
bridge name    bridge id        STP enabled    interfaces
br0        8000.56829ade9c0a    no        eth0
                            vethuUyg4e

The bridge has been defined like this :
auto br0
iface br0 inet static