[Lxc-users] disk limit?

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Thu May 19 15:04:29 UTC 2011

Quoting Corin Langosch (corinl at gmx.de):
> On 19.05.2011 11:18, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> After some time users install data on their vservers and so the
> snapshots grow over time.
>
> disc: 500 GB (one big lvm partition)
> lvm volume: 10 GB (has vserver base system installation)
> snapshot 1: 5 GB (a lot of individual data written so far)
> snapshot 2: 10 GB (ups, no space left on device)
> snapshot 3: 1 GB (not so much individual data written so far)
> = free space on disk: 474 GB
>
> Otherwise Serge's suggestion wouldn't make any sense to me.

Right - it'll let you overcommit like mad to create the
containers to begin with.  But it won't enforce the limit.
You can use a script on the host to watch the actual usage
and kindly ask the users to be careful.

I've tried enforcing a smaller limit by doing

   lvcreate -L 2G -n delme1 lxc
   mkfs.xfs /dev/lxc/delme1
   lvcreate -s /dev/lxc/delme1 -L 100M -n delme2

but /dev/lxc/delme2 does not get a 100M limit, unfortunately.

-serge