[Lxc-users] memory.usage_in_bytes value

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Tue May 17 11:37:23 UTC 2011

On 05/17/2011 12:11 PM, David Touzeau wrote:
> Dear
>

> I have a debian running in a container
>
> the /cgroup/vps-1/memory.usage_in_bytes display
>
> 10784768
>
> 10784768 ->  10Mb memory used.
>
> I estimate that this value did not reflect a running debian system
>
> Is it true ?
Assuming you are referring to the virtual memory used by the container ...
The cgroup memory acts at the physical memory level. What you assign is
the physical memory for your container.
For example, if you have 2GB of memory on your host, you can assign
512MB to your container and 1,5GB will be available for your system. But
the processes will still have 4GB (for a 32b host) of virtual memory.

So what you see is the physical memory used by the container.