[Lxc-users] LXC 0.7.4 - I/O error

Goran Cetusic goran.cetusic at gmail.com
Wed May 4 09:24:50 UTC 2011

I'm having problems with lxc 0.7.4 on some (if not all, haven't tested it
that thoroughly enough) systems. lxc-execute and lxc-start report I/O errors
when starting container with /bin/bash and trying to type. When I exit bash
the container seems stopped but the process is still running. If I try to
lxc-stop the command hangs. I use the same deboostraped system on every
machine. Initially I thought the problem was in the ttys not configured
correctly (which could still be part of the problem) but the only apparent
difference I found is that it works on lxc 0.6.5 but not on 0.7.4.

On another note, not starting the lxc-execute or lxc-start command would not
be such a big deal if the lxc-attach functionality (this is for another
project) worked but after installing the tools and kernel Serge
provided at ppa:serge-hallyn/lxc-natty
it says something like

lxc-attach: Function not implemented - failed to set namespace 'pid'
lxc-attach: failed to enter the namespace

I also compiled the kernel with the patch myself but the error message is
the same.
I'm guessing the lxc-execute problem has something to do with lxc-init
process since it's started to manage /bin/bash. Maybe there are no ttys
associated? The containers work fine if I start them with lxc-start without
any commands (standard init is run). The console login works and there are
no I/O errors.