[Lxc-users] lxc-fstab vs /etc/fstab vs /lib/init/fstab

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Wed Mar 30 13:58:17 UTC 2011

Quoting Matthias P. Wuerfl (mpw at taquiri.de):
> Hi.
>
> I Updated my Lucid-Container and it stopped working because of
> udev/mounting issues. After following some do-this-do-that-advices it
> works right now but i don't fully understand why.
>
> What is the difference between:
>
> - the fstab-file mentioned in the containers configfile
> - /etc/fstab
> - /lib/init/fstab?
>
> Which of the therein mentioned filesystems get mounted in which order?
> Which program does it? I was told to deactivate "mountall" in /etc/init,
> but filesystems get mounted. Why?

the containers fstab config file gets read first by lxc to set up
basic mounts.

Next, upstart's mountall consults /lib/init/fstab.  That's the one
which will usually prevent container startup from proceeding.  The
lxcguest package for ubuntu will force upstart to mount an empty
version of that file before mountall runs.  So if you install
lxcguest then mountall can safely run, which makes your container
safer against package updates.

Then finally mountall will consult /etc/fstab.

-serge