[Lxc-users] lxc-checkpoint: 'checkpoint' function not implemented

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 16 15:08:47 UTC 2011

Quoting Matt Rechenburg (matt at openqrm.com):
> Dear LXC Team,
>
> thanks again for the great work! Really like lxc.
> I would like to ask about the status of checkpoint/restore functionality
> in lxc.
> Just checked the latest tools and got lxc-checkpoint: 'checkpoint'
> function not implemented
> Curious about it since checkpoint/restore would enable (live) migration.
>
> greetz + all the best,

Suka sent a patchset on top of an older lxc to actually implement
some of the checkpoint/restart.  You can find it at
https://launchpad.net/~appcr/+archive/ppa/+packages if you download
the lxc package.  However, I haven't really used that.  I'm still
having trouble with the basic kernel functionality, so dealing with
the additional complication of container mounts is not something I
want to do right now.  So I'm creating custom lightweight 'jobs' or
'containers' using the 'crdemo' package in that same ppa.  But again,
I've not yet had time to figure out why the kernel is treating me
wrong.

-serge